Sunday, April 6, 2008

Shrouded in mystery

Yesterday I started drilling holes in the SPAS-12 hand guard for the Grenade Launcher front block. I quickly realized that I needed a few new drill bits as mine weren't sharp enough. You don't want bits walking on you when trying to drill something as rare as a SPAS-12 hand guard! With the holes drilled, it was time to take the Dremel to the opening so that the block would fit in. That was really easy.
I also measured and drilled 2 holes in the base of the barrel vent to mount it firmly to the top of the SPAS hand guard. The first hole is at the front and lines up with the threaded hole in the top of the front block. The other hole is near the middle of the 10 vent holes. A hex screw secured by a nut inside the hand guard completes the mounting.
Once I had these parts aligned and properly attached to one another, I felt like trimming the shroud to fit would be in order. I didn't want to do this until the metal parts were. Trimming the shrouds went quickly. Granted, there is still some minor trimming left to improve areas like in front of the Grenade Launcher trigger guard and also the magazine well is a bit too tight. Overall, the amazing castings and pre-assembly from Matt (Matsucorp) are the reason my work is easy.
That's it for now. I'm focusing on cutting the shell ejection and loading ports in the SPAS-12 hand guard next. But before that, I have to get the grip chopped down to size. That should be fairly straight forward...I hope!

1 comment:

rhicks said...

you ever finish the pulse?